Monday 14 December 2009

Aconcagua trekking finished (minus a towel!)

My trekking experience in the Aconcagua mountain range, Mendoza, Central Argentina came to an end with, unfortunately, a bit of an anti-climax. I´d planned a four day trek meticulously and after a healthy breakfast on the morning of the four hour bus ride to the entrance of the National Park where Aconcagua is situated; I was ready for action!

Horcones, the first ranger station where the emergency helicopter sits is pretty close to the park entrance and sits at around 2950m (9,700feet) which is roughly the same height as a normal skydive! You´re supposed to take a few days acclimatising in the closest town (Puente Del Inca) but I didn´t really have the time and so went straight into a 3hour hike up the mountain to base camp, Campamento Confluencia at 3380m (11,090 feet). It was a very windy day and so I was being blown about all over the place. The view of the big peak (Aconcagua) which sits at 6962m wasn´t really that good on that basis. Nonetheless, it was an enjoyable hike to base camp.

The first view I had of where I was to sleep for the next two nights was hilarious. There was an igloo looking tent-like-structure and a few other random tents dotted over some land squashed into a valley that had amazing mountains surrounding it. I was looking forward to sleeping in the weirdest tent of my life!

I think the altitude started to affect me for sure at this point as I needed to chillax straight away. I was carrying around 15kgs, which didn´t help, but had no choice as I planned to sleep 3nights in two different camps.

After a very cold evening and first meal of pasta, tomato sauce and a tin of corn, I was in bed at a stupidly early time of 8pm. I was also the only person in the 25man capacity igloo!! Oh yeah, and the zip to the door was also broken so I knew it was going to be a cold one!!

The night certainly proved to be chilly to say the least but it was all worth it as the following morning was nothing short of spectacular. A clear blue 360 degree sky meant that I could see all the snow capped and other jagged peaked mountains surrounding the camp. It felt amazing to be there and I was psyched for my 5hour hike up in elevation to 4200m (13,700feet!!) Plaza Francia!

I left camp at 07.50, quite lucky actually as the sky remained blue and clear for me over the course of the morning until around 12.30 where it clouded over a bit. The walk was nothing short of unreal!! I hiked my butt off up and around various mountains, along rocky paths and then no paths, through rivers and along a glacier to get to Plaza Francia. I was truly alone and in my element as the scenery was stunning. I just couldn´t get over the fact that the mountains were so strange. There were stripey ones, bright yellow mountains, crazy jagged mountains, perfectly formed volcano-looking-mountains and every variation inbetween all next to one another. It was fantastic! There were also really strange ice formations randomly dotted along the way. Oh yeah, and there was a massive ´dirty´ glacier that appeared to be solid rock!

Four hours into the trek (roughly 1hour from my destination), I started to feel some symptoms of AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness), which worried me somewhat. I was beginning to feel sick, dizzy, had a headache and my hands started to swell up! I learned later that the hands swelling up are a sign that your kidneys are failing!!

After around 30mins of the symptoms persisting and me taking it easy as a consequence, I knew it was time to turn back. I knew that if I´d continued it could have been fatal as my headache was getting worse and I felt as though I was going to vomit. All signs things weren´t improving! It was so strange as I was only at 4100-4200m and had trekked higher than that before.

Feeling quite lame, but content with my decision, I turned back and started to head back down to a lower altitude. If only I´d taken my aspirin on the trek with me I would´ve have been fine! Looks like I did need the time to acclimatise after all.

After a 3 hour hike back to camp, I´d reached the decision that it wasn´t sensible of me to do a hike to the higher, Plaza De Mulas the following day. I´d have to cut my trekking short. Oh well I thought, an extra day in Iguazu Falls. Not a problem.

That night a group of 7 locals, 3 french and 2 spanish joined me in the igloo. Boy oh boy was it cold that night! I awoke the next day to see that the sink outside the igloo had ice all over it where the water had frozen solid!

I trekked back down to Horcones at the entrance to the park over the next 2.5hours with what I thought was a couple. A Belgian lady and Aussie guy had spent the night in a tiny little freezing (im sure) tent and were also on their way down. However, they weren´t a couple, so must´ve found it a bit odd being in such a small tent together. Lol. Good idea though to get more body heat. They were fast walkers as well!

We got back to the park entrance in record time and so decided to walk the 3kms to Puente Inca so they could have a shower. We would wait for the bus at this ´town´ rather than the park itself. It was at that point that I realised I´d left my trekking towel up on the mountain! Sooo gutted! Not to complain though, the day was again clear and blue. I also got to visit the natural wonder that is the Sulphur Bridge at Puente Del Inca! An amazing sight.

A four hour bus ride back to Mendoza and an evening of teaching a group of travellers Yahtzee and Farckle helped me unwind. That evening I met another strange couple, but in another sense completely. These guys were a testiment to how times change and people come together. A jewish/burmese girl with a german/german guy who had both discovered that their families were either persecuted as jews or were involved with the nazi´s (respectively) and were totally over it. It was great to see that human kind can learn from its mistakes and put the past in the past! Great couple as well.

The next afternoon we all went to the local ´waterpark´ together. However, it really wasn´t a waterpark at all...it had two broken rubbish slides and one slightly large pool. Lame. Total waste of 25ps/5 pounds! I did get to play some more Yahtzee though and do some solid shade bathing!

After the fairly wasted afternoon, I was back again at Mendoza, ready to hit a 10hour overnight bus to Cordoba, followed by a four hour wait and then a 21 hour overnight bus ride to Puerto Iguazu! Great!

I planned to spend my birthday (16th December) at the falls...excellent idea I thought. It was also possible to meet up with group I travelled with on Oasis Overlanding at the beginning of this trip. This could prove to be an unforgettable birthday.

7 comments:

The Edmonds Household said...

Hi Ter

After that blog thank goodness you have made it to your Birthday!! Hope you have a great day at the falls, it won't be the same without Jen there but at least you will be together again on 21st December all thanks to BA and their
nightmares strike action.

Anyway stay safe until then, Happy Birthday from us all here, we can't wait to see you again next week with all the USA clan too!!!

Take care

The Edmonds household!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

hey you mad man reading your blog so glad your coming home however judging by this trekking bug you have its not going to be long b4 your off again mount everest i here you say well something like that anyway. have a fab birthday baby bruv peace out and stay safe
xoxo tam

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://alanyniz.o-f.com/nonoga.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

shannonstott said...

Tel
Sounds like you are having such an amazing time doing all this crazy trekking!! im glad you decided to turn back when you started to feel ill though!
I love that you are playing yahtzee all over the show.
xx S

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Dismiss Idle Downloads With NZB Files You Can Easily Search High Quality Movies, Console Games, MP3 Singles, Software & Download Them at Alarming Speeds

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]NZB Search[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

It isn't hard at all to start making money online in the undercover world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat code[/URL], It's not a big surprise if you have no clue about blackhat marketing. Blackhat marketing uses not-so-popular or little-understood ways to generate an income online.