Monday 19 November 2007

Seals and their country surroundings

Hi everyone thank you for your comments, i love hearing from you all i just wana pick up the phone and spend hours updated you all and seeing how you are! I wish I could but we are so busy everyday is full on.

As we left the Okovanga Delta, we drove for what seemed like days and days to Namibia. Crossing the border we were all exhausted and ready for a rest. We slept on the truck, read our books and pushed our heads out of the windows to watch the Nambian people live their lifes beyond the truck. The landscape dramatically changed to a world full of desert sand and water. We drove for miles with the skeleton coast following behind us to the enormous, overpowering Spitskoppe. We took a left from the desert road to what looked like a huge lump of sand in the flat desert. As we approached the lump of sand, it gre and grew until we felt like tiny ants looking up to humans. We set up our tents once we arrived and thought about our night living until the stars, in the desert and in leopard territory (with lots of recent sightings). In true Terry fashion he decided to be an individual and walk alone in the rock formation. I went with him for protection, hehe, but as we went deeper and deeper in the formation I soon began to feel eyes looking at us. I decided to stand very still as Terry was begging me to walk on. He walked alone to climb a different rock and I looked around at my surroundings. I was alone in the vast desert, flat landscape with a huge rock formation as big as a mountain above me. I felt like bait ready to eat. After 30 minutes of thinking I was going to be eaten, Terry finally returned to a very unhappy girlfriend. Terry took me back to the rest of the crew and decided to walk off alone for a whole hour, I was so worried about him!

The next morning we arose early to the sound of pots and pans banging together and we managed to get up, pack up and jump on the bus for an action packed day. We visited the beautiful sanddunes of Namibia, extremely famous for being the tallest in the world, dune number 9. It was 5am when we reached the dune, without any breakfast in our bellies we climbed the dune for an hour to reach the top ready for sunrise. I managed half way and used a scared friend as an excuse to stop the pain in my legs and we slide down the dune after sunrise. Terry made it to the top and watched an amazing sunrise over the Namibian desert. After this we visited the scenes of The Cell with Jennifer Lopez, a very eerie desert with a few dead trees and sand snakes. Unimagineable place unless seen by your own eyes, the colours were so strong that you forget how the rest of the world looks for a moment.

The day did not finish there. The afternoon was spent heading to Swakopmund, the capital city and heading off to board down the desert dunes. We were all given pieces of MDF and pushed down the highest, nearly 90 degree angled dunes. I wiped out on the first attempt, I was so nervous but as usual Tel was a natural. Great fun, apart from the aching of your legs as you climb for the next rush.

We spent the night in a hostel, having a nice pizza in town and watching our day on the DVD. We booked to sky dive the next day so we both didn’t sleep to much in anticipation! I have to say Sky diving is the best thing I have ever done in my life. Something everyone must try! We were given really bright jumpsuits to wear and we were strapped to a pro as we went slowly up to 10,000 feet in a rickety old plane. The door opened and our legs were moved into place, touching the bottom of the outside part of the plane. One, Two, Three and we were out of the plane falling so fast we couldn’t breathe and so powerfully that I could barely think of anything but wow, wow, wow. Terry was so frightened he barely said a word going up in the plane and all he could think off when falling out of the plane is, ‘has the guy strapped me in right!!’ The parachute goes up after about 30 seconds and we just flew for about 5 minutes as the sunset over the skeleton coast in front. I looked up to see Terry flying above me.

Qualified Adrenaline junkies now. White water rafting, Gorge swinging, Sky diving and sand boarding! Terry is going to go Shark cage diving in Cape Town too. Crazy stuff!

In the afternoon, we headed off to the coast and to see the seal colony. We were warned about the smell before we reached the coast and they were not wrong. It was really overpowering but it was worth putting up with as we walked to the coastline to witness hundreds upon hundreds of seals and their pups. It was breeding season so the seals were joined with a lots of red colours and even more smell.

I was sick last night due to the malaria tablets, I took one on an empty stomach, such a bad idea!

Tonight we are so going to chill out with the TV, have a long hot shower and play cards with our troop. Required and throughly deserved. Love you all, i miss you all when i get on here and see your comments!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey guys just got back from gambia had a cool time looks like your having such an amazing time im so jealous im bk at work monday,dont want to go.make sure you do lots more amazing things before you come back to the humdrum boredom of england.ill write again soon love you loads be careful Tanya