Monday 9 August 2010

Post Nine: My fab wedding invites - on a budget

So after a week of pulling together ideas for the invitations and a mishap in printing over 70 of them, only to find a mistake on the times of the ceremony, I have finally finished my wedding invitations.

To save money, I have finished my wonderful wedding website. A free and fabulous site with gettingmarried.co.uk.  I didn’t want to send huge wedding invitations that would cost a lot of money to post and a lot of money to get made, I opted for a free wedding planning website. Its great; everyone can RSVP, find accommodation and even work out their routes to the venues on there. As the wedding will be personal and DIY style, I wanted my invitations to be too.

So I used a great website called, ‘fromoldbooks.com’, and managed to find a great vintage, gothic inspired border for the 4x6 postcard shaped invite. Within the border, I wrote a short message depicting the details of the day and added my website for RSVP and gift list. This not only saves time, it’s totally eco friendly.

My cycle route home from work everyday takes me pass my favourite shop, ‘hobbycraft’. It’s a treasure trove of craft goodies for me, although a little expensive the shop always makes me want to buy something. I went in to see how I could get creative with my invitations and sat by the ribbons for about an hour. (I know totally sad). I had printed my draft invitations and matched them up with some floral cream ribbon and a lovely plum coloured ribbon too. Plum will be my wedding colour so I managed to tie that in. The black border against the cream and purple looks just prefect. A slight gothic, vintage and original design. I decided to fold bows with the ribbon and add a flash of colour.


My creative mess!



I also managed to use the invites I made a mistake on! Recycling goddess! I used the Laura Ashley paper I brought for the original invites and backed the new ones nicely.

So all in all…how much did I add to the bill? £1 for Laura Ashley Paper, £1.50 for the envelopes, £1.50 for the card and £5 for the ribbon. So £9 for my invitations, less then a penny each and am handing most of them out to save postage! Perfection!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lovely!! and their beautiful!!!!! very stylish!
sar xox