Friday 23 July 2010

Post Seven: Girl with the Tray


The quirky merry-go-round music that you hear from the classic Ice Cream Van is playing behind my head, out in the street near to our house. I thought, ‘I must have one at the wedding.’ It would be brilliant; a hot day, an Indian curry, nice music and fun things to do in the grounds around the venue surely equals an Ice Cream. Hmmm…so how do I do this in budget? With no shoes and only socks to protect my feet from the concrete road, I run out into the street to ask our local ice cream van how much he charges. I thought why not bite the bullet and ask him straight up. He said with travel expenses and the cost of ice creams we were looking at minimum £200.

With this thought in tow I headed back to the comfort of carpet and sat and thought about other interesting ideas that could work instead of spending £200. Terry and my mum were both trying to convince me to buy a load of ice cream tubs and put them in the freezer at the Hall, letting everyone help themselves, however I found this so unexciting and uninspiring that I just tuned out from listening.

Last night, we drove down to Portsmouth, after cycling 8 miles to work and back and feeling very tired, we arrived at Hayden’s, Terry’s cousin’s house, to see Hayden, Terry’s mum Sue, Terry’s Nan and Hayden’s girlfriend Lyndsay. I was talking through the idea that I was dying to have an ice cream van to add fun and personality to the day and Terry’s mum sparked a great alternative. Meeting both Terry and my own opinion in the middle, she thought up the old classic cinema addition, the ‘girl with the tray’. 


It’s a great way to interact with the guests, give the groomsmen a good job and have something yet again creative and fits perfectly with my old English theme. So New Forest Ice Creams and a classic ‘man with the tray’ will add a great little free and refreshing treat to the afternoon. I was going to ask the groomsmen to do it with their tops off (one for the ladies) but was quickly laughed out of the room.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

Amazing idea!!
It fits perfectly into your theme.