Monday 22 March 2010

Another voyage into the 'unknown'...(well, unknown ish as we have been to Toron-o before)

Seven hours into the flight and I can begin to see land.....land 'Canada style'. We were over Newfoundland and it was stunning. Large sections of ice mixed with green patchy land appeared below through the partial cloud covered sky. The aching of my legs and back was a pain I thought I wouldn't feel again after leaving Argentina from my 2 years of travelling and countless flights around the globe; but the draw of putting the backpack on again was too compelling. Two awful movies and semi good plane food for a cheap airline and we were 30 minutes from starting a new adventure in the land of mountees, bears and the expression 'eh'!

It was less than 24hours since we'd been playing games with a roomful of UK friends. Looking around at each face, I found myself wondering why we are so different, why we were desired to seek adventure; why we feel the need to move and why can't just be happy with what we could easily achieve in the UK.

I was listening to the ipod whilst Terry slept and snow patrol 'Run' shuffled its way into my ears. This is my dad's favourite song and is a reminder of what we left behind in England. My dad, alone in the family home, drowning his sorrows for the wife he lost. My mum, brave and in her own way adventurous, beginning a new life that she hopes will bring her happiness. And my UK based siblings also doing their own thing; my sweet sister with her gorgeous kids, putting on a brave smile in the face of so much family uncertainty and my brother enjoying his earnings fully living life for what it is.

The male cabin crew member is coming around now shouting rubbish as I enter back into reality. We are soon to exit a plane, without a clue where we will end up to tonight and I love it!! So many people would absolutely hate what we are about to do but for us our lives thrive on this excitement. I sit and ponder, where will our lives be in one year, in one week or even in 1 day? Who will we meet this time? How will we feel? Who knows if what we are doing is the right thing for us, nobody knows but something somewhere made us click apply on the work canada visa website and drove us to Gatwick. Life is definately a journey and here goes another story to add to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

boo - you forgot your sister and nephew and niece that are 4 hours away excited to see you in 10 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!