Friday 27 November 2009

Just give me my free hot chocolate!

I didn´t sleep well last night as my worst fear came true. You guessed it...there was a snorer in Dormville! To be honest, thats a bit of an exaggeration as my worst fear would probably be being bitten by fire ants whilst being stabbed in the balls and then thrown into a shark infested aligator pit! Lol. Damn that snorer though! Thid dude could really imitate an obese hog with chronic breathing problems that could only result in one outcome...crazy hog-snoring!

To add insult to injury it was a 5am start for Mr Snorer. He was to get the bus outta here (thank god). Or hes just plain annoying!

I awoke after a few hours peace and quiet at circa 07.30 to see a small furry creature sleeping at the end of my bed....No, luckily it wasn´t a rat, it was the hostels cat called ´chiclo´I think. Im sure that translates to ´corn´or something. Odd name for a cat. But then again, what do I know...I can´t speak Spanish.

Eventually, after some conversing with the (as I discovered), equally stingy German dude sleeping in the dorm bed next to me, I decided to get up and go eat the exciting breakfast of plain bread rolls and black coffee.

Breakfast was how it sounds, pretty lame, but after adding some cheese and making myself two rolls for lunch, I was quite pleased I´d saved myself at least 10pesos (1 pound 80). Sweet!

Even though the morning looked quite grim it was time to bite the bullet, layer up and go to the national park that lies 12kms out of Ushuaia. At around 11am the bus took three of us (myself and an old French couple) to the start point of the various treks we could do over the course of the day. They say 3hours to do one particular trek around the bay and into a furry forrest with mega mud and another 1.5hours to do a trek to Arias Point, the furhest point in the National Park the general public can access.

I completed this 8kms (5mile) trek and the 4.4kms (2.7miles) trek in 3hours 10mins total. I saw a woodpecker doing his thing, saw a very casual fox just walk on by, plenty of birds and throughout this trek thoroughly enjoyed listening to the sounds of mother nature. I truly am a nature lover and have decided to alter my cv to reflect this fact. Lol. I also managed to pass every person I saw that day including the slow coach old Frenchies even though I ventured off the track at every opportunity to take a closer look at the various peat bogs and rocks in all their different shapes, sizes and geological makeup. Maybe I should´ve been a geologist I´m starting to think. Rocks are awesome!! I collected a few beauties today.

Once I´d arrived back in Ush I decided to take advantage of my free hot chocolate voucher I´d been given on the penguin tour yesterday. The lady, of course, tried to upsell me by 7pesos to a ´grande´ number. Not a chance sister, serve me my freebie please! I don´t think the affluent locals appreciated my blatant cheapskatedness!

Jen would be in her element in that shop...theres about a million different posh chocolates. I just drank my freebie and left though as it really didnt interest me. Man it tasted good though!! Tastes so much nicer when it costs NOTHING!

Haha. Time to get my butt into gear and sort out a hostel for El Calafate, the next stop on the Terry tour! Oh yeah, theres an 18hour bus ride inbetween that commences at 5am tomorrow! Not cool!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up babe! Good work on the free hot choccie!!! And bring me some choccies home! Good luck on the bus tomo ill be thinking of you all day!! Love u xxx